Weapons and Self Defense

I held out as long as I could:-) It's just that some of the comments
that I read this morning have me worried about some of you.

I carry a gun in my truck whenever I travel distances.  It is
accessible.  I know how and *when* to use it.  I know the laws.
And I know how to protect myself without it.  On an endurance
ride, I do not carry the gun.  Most time on training rides I do
not carry it.  If I'm in the back country, that's different.

First and foremost - Unless you are willing to shoot to kill,
do not carry a gun.  A gun is not a weapon to be shown about,
it is not a deterent, it does no good in the holster, it does
no good where you can't reach it. As someone said, a gun is for
killing.  If you don't like that, don't carry one.

Second - Gun laws are different in every state.  You can easily
find out what the laws are by contacting the National Rifle Association.
They have great publications that they will send you free of charge.
It will detail what the laws are, in your home, in your car, out
riding, etc.  If you plan to carry a gun, contact them and ask what
the laws are in your area.

Third - If you can't protect yourself a little without a gun, you
are unlikely to be able to protect yourself with a gun.  Call the
folks at Model Mugging.  They will give you lots of information.
Attend a class - a weekend usually - and learn a lot.  Or you can
be like me and spend 20 some years learning martial arts.

Fourth - Man vs. Woman - The men on this list can carry a weapon
in clear sight and no one will say a thing.  If a woman carries
a weapon in clear sight, the unsavory men will try to intimidate,
harrass, and generally be more unpleasant to the woman.  I get
harrassed by guys just because I have folding knife in my belt.

Fifth - The U.S. vs. the other countries - For many historical
reasons, guns are a part of this country.  It is one of our
basic rights (and being debated hottly for years).   Unfortunately,
there are many criminals that do not respect the rights of others.
Women are the target of many of these criminals.  And it is the
right and responsibility of all people to defend themselves.  The
police will not be responsible for this.  Unfortunate, but true.
They will come after the crime and try to apprehend the criminal.
The court will let the criminal go free until trial.  And the
criminal may come back for you.  All this is terrible, but true.
So, in some parts of the country, it is necessary to learn how
to defend yourself.  In all parts of the country, it is a good
idea to know how.  This does not mean you have to carry a gun.
But you do need to know what to do in bad situations.

Someone said:
> Mine sits beneath the floor mat of my truck,loaded,unused,and rusting.
> I don't give it much thought.It's just there in case civilization has
> a relapse!

This is most dangerous.  Since it is out of reach, and out of repair,
it is most likely to fail you when you need it.  It's just as likely
to blow up in your face as actually fire a round when needed.  If
you keep a gun in your truck, please keep it in repair, take it out
regularly and use it, clean it, and keep it accessible.

Someone else said:
> Carry it unloaded....like I said, just the sight of it will deter many
> from making you an easy target.

Never ever do this.  Please, a gun is not a deterent.  It is a deadly
weapon.

>Are there any other women who ride primarily alone & carry a weapon
>and if so what kind and have you ever needed it? And just where do you
>carry it anyway?

I ride alone most of the time.  I know approximately the danger level
at each location.  In most places I feel comfortable in not carrying
a gun - I always have my weapons with me.  Hands and feet are never
far away.  Also, remember that the horse is a thousand pounds of
hooves.  And a truck is a very big and deadly weapon.

When I choose to carry, I do so descreetly.  I have a small 9mm which
I carry in a modified fanny pack.  The fanny pack is positioned in
front of my.  It only takes one hand to open the pack, pull the gun
and fire.  I have already made the decision that if I feel my life
is threatened, I will shoot.  The ammo is Winchester Safety Shells.
These sound nice - and in a court of law that matters a whole lot -
but they are really soft hollow points - and that makes a difference
in impact.  Mostly, I have them so that if I have to shoot someone in
my house, they won't go through walls.

In Colorado, you may carry a loaded gun in your truck.  Hunters have
to have the chamber empty.  You may also carry a gun descreetly.
Just how this is defined depends on the officer that stops you and
why he stopped you.  Very grey area.

If you decide to get a gun, learn about it from a qualify trainer.
The gun store can help you find one.  The NRA can help you find one.
Make all you decisions with a cool head.  Learn the laws.  Figure
out what you plan to do, when you plan to do it, and what the
possible outcomes may be.  And do so before anything happens.

And yes, if there is ever a need, learn how to shoot a horse with
the least amount of tramma to the animal.  Note that if you have
a trailer accident, a police office will not shoot the horse for
you, nor will they let you use their gun.  Something about liability
and paper work.

I now return you to your regular endurance riding topics.

--
Wendy

                      \|/
            /\        -O-
           /**\       /|\
          /****\   /\
         /      \ /**\   Here there be dragons

  Wendy Milner                     HPDesk:   wendy_milner@hp4000
  Hewlett-Packard Company          e-mail:   wendy@fc.hp.com
  Mail Stop A2-5UB3                Telnet:   898-2182
  3404 E. Harmony Rd.              AT&T:     (970) 898-2182
  Fort Collins, CO, 80528-9599     FAX:      (970) 898-2038