RE: Riding and Guns

I will put my two cents in on this topic.  I feel that I do have some
knowledge in this field:  I ride endurance, I am a Reserve Police
Officer and own a collection of firearms.  First of all I don't blame
anyone who wants to carry a gun when they are riding or traveling alone,
especially females.  I is a sad commentary, but a reality that there are
many weirdo out there.  However, I must state that before you just go
and get a gun, you MUST learn how it works and MUST practice with it.
It should become second nature to you.  I know from experience that in a
stressful situation you will simply react, and that reaction will be
based on your training.  You will not have a chance to think.  Also, you
MUST be willing to use the gun if necessary, if you have any hesitation
at all, don't carry one.  I can be used against you.  Remember that most
police officers are killed with there own gun, and many times the
suspect was unarmed at the beginning of the situation.  Getting a gun
away from an untrained person is very easy, so learn weapon retention
techniques as well.
Lastly be safe and try to follow all laws, don't advertise that you have
a weapon on you.  In most if not all urban areas police officers are
trained to view ANYONE with a gun as a threat.  Stay low key.
Good riding and if you have anyother questions let me know.
Tony C