Re: Gun training for horses?

tetervin@bms.com wrote:

> Just wondering about how most horses would react to having a gun go off on
> their back. Perhaps the horses need to be trained to tolerate that if their
> rider is going to blasting away while mounted. -Amy

As a member of El Dorado County Search and Rescue, California, our team members
had the opportunity to attend a week long school with Carson City Mounted
Sherrif's Posse on "desensitizing" training for the horses. I was unable to
attend, but the other members reported that this type of training was
invaluable for their horses. Everything from walking over tarps, firecrackers
going off, riot control, pistols fireing, etc, was encountered. Our team also
just recently went through the classes and got CCW's. (carrying concealed
weopon) permits. Again, this permit was specifically for the purpose of
"dispatching" (killing) your mount in the back country on a search if needed. I
don't want to have to slit my horse's throat!--
Deanne Del Vecchio & Gabe ~~ no, no, MOM....I PROMISE to be very good!
AERC MEMBER -- WEST
Creative Computer Concepts
South Lake Tahoe, CA
delvecchio@geocities.com