Re: horses/dogs

At 08:11 PM 3/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>was wondering if anyone else has horses that like dogs?  I have 2 german
>shepherds who at first would  just go out and stay with the horses, but
>that changed...soon the dogs were running after the horses, then the horses
>turn around and chase the dogs!

My horses also like dogs and I have seen the same behavior in my horses and
my Australian Shepard and my partner's Husky/Collie mix. On a trail ride
strange dogs do not bother them unless the dogs are loud and agressive.
Even then, the horses are just very wary and keep track of the dogs until
they are gone. The horses remain in control and responsive to their rider.

A couple of times early in the relationship between our horses and each of
the two dogs of ours, a dog would get too agressive with the horses (and
too close). One of the horses would then send the dog through the air with
a well placed kick. Each time, the dog that got kicked appeared to be
destroyed, if not dead. But within a few minutes he had shaken it off and
had gone back to play with the horses. (Giving a little more distance in
respect of the horses feet.)

I am no expert, but I always assumed that it was because of this
opportunity to play and associate with our dogs that taught our horses to
be calm around other dogs.

Byron Harward and Tzadik (Utah)
To Finish is to Win; To Ride is to Live!