USFS simply does not want us!!!

<<
 Among other things, on the California and Washington sites, you will find
 information on legislation that may affect your use of backcountry trails.
 Even if you are not a member, your help in writing letters to appropriate
 people on this issues would be appreciated. Even on somewhat local issues
 such as the proposed changes to stock use in California wilderness areas by
 USFS, keep in mind they could very easily be extended to other USFS
 forests - and the precedent would already be set.

 Duncan Fletcher
 dfletche@gte.net >>

You wrote this at an appropriate time.  My Nat'l Forest just decided to CHARGE
us a daily fee (you can get annual permit, too) to ride here.  I live in the
middle of the Wayne Nat'; Forest.

I normally do not mind paying for use, BUT, there is NO trail maintenance and
the trails are closed Dec. 15 to April 15.

Really, it is a JOKE and a TRAVESTY!!!!  When I moved here 9 yeras ago, three
local guys cleared trail oin their own time and at thier own expense.  I
started to join in when trhe USFS said:  No need, We'll do it for you!!! (i.e.
we don't want you to do it, we don't trust you).  I managed several rides here
to prove the need (they said there weren't enough riders to get funding to
maintain trails in past).  THEN, they closed trails in winter/spring...said
too much trail damage.  Well, THEY put the trail through bogs, not us. WE
don't ride when the mud is that bad.  Not many ride in winter anyway.  Four-
wheelers illegally used part of the trail and chewed it up (getting US thrown
off that section).

There is NO trust here!!!!  They said they would maintain trails, they didn''t
want US taking chainsaws out there to get rid of downed trees.  So NOW, most
of the time you don't know if you can even negotiate parts of the trail.  Call
them and it takes 4 months for them to send in somebody with a chainsaw.

About the closure of trails....they put up signs at all trailheads.  Said
they'd fine people for riding "off season".  We hardly ever see anyone out
there anymore.  I know of NO ONE who has been ticketed.  I live near and ride
on the more remore sections.

I NEVER mind paying a fee. but this is ludicrous!!!  What do I get for my
money?

They built a big new headquarters building, have tons of cars and trucks, yet
we hardly see anything being done other than mangement of timbering.  They
already farm out their campground and recreational areas.  They won't be able
to patrol this or even collect enough fees to pay for anything.  There are
MANY other places to ride. Most people trailer out here anyway, now they will
go elsewhere.  Then they will say: Not enough usage to warrant trail
management.  I can see the writing on the wall...they simply do not want us
out there...

BTY, the fee is for Mtn. bikers, off-road and horses...FREE for hikers.

Pissed in Ohio

Teddy