Re: stirrups ...things I've learned.

I saw the SR saddle at the convention.  The workmanship was beautiful.
Don't know about the specifics,   the Zes saddle looked strange.  In the
photos it looks like my Express, but it was actually sort of a tree with
a big leather slip cover, totally removable.  There was an Italian made
saddle with a very funky set up, the seat was sort of suspended, like a
trapoline, the craftmanship was beautiful, but they didn't seem to know a
thing about trees, (This WILL fit all horses!)  I really hate to see how
everybody turned on the Ortho-flex people.  It's a shame to not see them
at the trade show.  Looking at some of the craftmanship in the
"experimental" models made the Ortho Flex look awfully good, and I think
we should all be thankful to them for starting the "let's make a better
mousetrap" mentality popular.  I think a lot of folks just thought they
got big for their britches, but looking at the prices on the Italian
saddle ($2200), they don't seem as out of line.
Back to the subjectr, Steve Ray seemed like a nice guy, and his saddle
looked like quality stuff.

Angie McGhee, who likes her Ortho-flex and always got great service from
the company.

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:54:07 -0600 (CST) PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com (KIMBERLY
PRICE) writes:
>In a previous post, I mentioned that Trail Blazer's article
>(Jan/Feb98)
>THE DYNAMICS OF SADDLE DESIGN & FIT, the author states "....the
>mechanics of english trees require that the stirrups must be hung from
>
>the front of the bars, as this is the strongest point of the tree.
>This rules out centered seats when building saddles on English trees."
>
>I didn't say I agreed with the TB article about stirrups on english
>trees being too far forward.  It was only a new perspective to me.  I
>am forced to wonder if the author is reflecting some bias, since the
>article is based on an interview with Steve Ray gonzales who makes and
>
>sells SR Saddles.  I'm trying out a dressage saddle at the moment (not
>
>for distance, just to be able to ride), and I feel very balanced in
>it,
>although the author also states that "dressage saddles come close..."
>Since you are not just standing in the stirrups when posting, but
>spreading the weight throughout the leg, and stirrup length should be
>factor as well, I don't see how the placement of the stirrup is so
>dramatic that you cannot have a centered seat.  I can see where the
>shape of the seat could influence this, but if your feet are under you
>
>aligned with your hip, aren't you pulling the stirrup back too?
>Unless, of course, you use your stirrup to post and don't distribute
>any weight in your legs.... ?????
>
>I'm learning an english tree cannot be too wide in front or it
>interfers with posting. (this I read).  All brands of saddles use
>their
>own measuring system for small, medium, very medium, wide etc...there
>is no standardization between manufacturer's.  Sort of like having to
>try on jeans before buying to see if they really fit.  I'm learning
>about gullets and restuffing, "A" framed trees and "Oval" trees and
>how
>important the contact on the horse's back along the tree is.  If only
>part of the horse is touching the saddle because the gullets are too
>round, then too much pressure will be applied on the horse's back.
>
>Thanks again for the wonderful information sent out regarding saddle
>usage, types, etc.  I'm still looking at Stubben VSD or Survivals.  I
>like the quality of the leather and so far the way the total saddle
>fits Mystery.  Anyone know of used Stubbens, preferable 32cm and 17 to
>
>18" seat size please forward them on to me.
>
>BTW, since Mystery got a chiropractic adjustment, (and he was very
>much
>out of alignment, probably from an injury he had in his pass), he is
>100% better.  Feeling fit and fine, loving this dressage saddle, but
>acting like a wild beast again since he is living on all this fine
>pasture.  He is moving freely, has improved response to leg and seat,
>and is trotting out strong...it is very gradifying to realize he is no
>
>longer in any pain or discomfort.  This list has really been
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]