stirrups ...things I've learned.

In a previous post, I mentioned that Trail Blazer's article (Jan/Feb98)
THE DYNAMICS OF SADDLE DESIGN & FIT, the author states "....the
mechanics of english trees require that the stirrups must be hung from
the front of the bars, as this is the strongest point of the tree.
This rules out centered seats when building saddles on English trees."

I didn't say I agreed with the TB article about stirrups on english
trees being too far forward.  It was only a new perspective to me.  I
am forced to wonder if the author is reflecting some bias, since the
article is based on an interview with Steve Ray gonzales who makes and
sells SR Saddles.  I'm trying out a dressage saddle at the moment (not
for distance, just to be able to ride), and I feel very balanced in it,
although the author also states that "dressage saddles come close..."
Since you are not just standing in the stirrups when posting, but
spreading the weight throughout the leg, and stirrup length should be a
factor as well, I don't see how the placement of the stirrup is so
dramatic that you cannot have a centered seat.  I can see where the
shape of the seat could influence this, but if your feet are under you
aligned with your hip, aren't you pulling the stirrup back too?
Unless, of course, you use your stirrup to post and don't distribute
any weight in your legs.... ?????

I'm learning an english tree cannot be too wide in front or it
interfers with posting. (this I read).  All brands of saddles use their
own measuring system for small, medium, very medium, wide etc...there
is no standardization between manufacturer's.  Sort of like having to
try on jeans before buying to see if they really fit.  I'm learning
about gullets and restuffing, "A" framed trees and "Oval" trees and how
important the contact on the horse's back along the tree is.  If only
part of the horse is touching the saddle because the gullets are too
round, then too much pressure will be applied on the horse's back.

Thanks again for the wonderful information sent out regarding saddle
usage, types, etc.  I'm still looking at Stubben VSD or Survivals.  I
like the quality of the leather and so far the way the total saddle
fits Mystery.  Anyone know of used Stubbens, preferable 32cm and 17 to
18" seat size please forward them on to me.

BTW, since Mystery got a chiropractic adjustment, (and he was very much
out of alignment, probably from an injury he had in his pass), he is
100% better.  Feeling fit and fine, loving this dressage saddle, but
acting like a wild beast again since he is living on all this fine
pasture.  He is moving freely, has improved response to leg and seat,
and is trotting out strong...it is very gradifying to realize he is no
longer in any pain or discomfort.  This list has really been invaluable
for the collective advise and perspectives of all, and for allowing me
to meet some very, very good friends and riding partners...

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA