Re: Dogs & kids in camp

I've been reading (with a lot of smiles) the dialogue about dogs & kids
in camp.

Some folks are *very* defensive about their right to have kids in camp....
ha ha.  I don't think anyone has made a point that kids shouldn't be
at rides, just that they should be well-behaved.  I really haven't seen
any who haven't been.

I really just want to add yet another comment about dogs in camp.  In
my area, almost everyone brings at least one dog to a ride.  The dogs
all know one another and it seems like "old home week" for them too.
I've not experienced problems with peoples dogs running around in
other folks' camps, if they are not on lease they seem to stay right in
their own camp area.  My dog is tied to my gooseneck while I am in camp,
he sleeps in the trailer while I am on the ride.

I know my dog doesn't bark and howl when I am away from camp - I've
taken him too many times both to rides and just "horse camping" and
would've heard him coming in or going out (and neighbors would've
told me at horse camps, they aren't shy, neither are park rangers who
will ticket).  In fact, I usually have to wake him up when I get back.  If
my dog *did* bark and howl I wouldn't bring him.  But he is well-behaved
and good company and enjoys being "camp dog".

Lots of dogs come to rider's meetings - on leash, either on their
owner's laps or at their feet....

I've not been bothered by anyone else's dogs when I've been to a
ride, people seem to have a sense of consideration for others.  Its
too bad this isn't so everywhere, but I really think that problems
can be solved by enforcing rules of conduct, not by banning
all dogs at rides.

Jude Hall
in Ohio