Re: To Be Or Not To Be...

Lauren,

I will reply a longer letter to you privately. Everyone on ridecamp has
heard my stories ad nauseum!

Briefly, it depends on the horse andthe problems you are having. I sold a
horse last year that was dangerous and beyond my capabilities to deal with.
I replaced him with a horse that needed some work and fine tuning, but has
been coming along nicely.

Here's how I determined the difference between giving up and perservering.
Is the horse generally getting better, even in small increments? The appy I
sold just got worse as time went on. He had a serious attitude problem and
simply did not like it here, even though all our horses know only kind and
gentle treatment and a good life. I think somtimes there are personality
conflicts between horse and rider and those may not be someting we can
overcome.

On the other hand, Star had some problems, but continues to get better and
better. I bought him a year ago, did some competing on him last year and
had an exciting, but successful season. Thsi year should be even better for
us as we continue to learn about each other and strengthen our bond.

Have you worked with a trainer? I called a local trainer whom I heard was
very good with horses. She helped me and Star through our initial rough
spots and was available for help over the phone if I had a problem I didn't
know how to handle. It cost $150 for her to work with Star and me for 10
days and it was money very well spent.

Good luck.

chris paus & star