Re: Eliminate Sanctioning 2-Day 100's & 3-Day 150's

Brad:

I am deeply concerned and insulted by your attitude and the comments you
made in your post.
You stated <<<There is no way that riding a 2-Day 100 is the same as riding
a 1-Day
> 100 - never has been, never will!  I can't think of anyone who has ridden
> continuous 150 miler (I'm sure someone has done it!), but I can't believe
> that riding three 50's in three days is the same as doing 150 miles in 36
> hours!!>>>>
Well,  Arlene along with a number of other persons did the first 150 in one
day some years ago. She also did 150 in two days, something like 16 hours
riding time in Nevada a few years back.

You seem to denigrate the horsemanship of those doing fifty miles a day for
two or more days. It is obvious you do not understand the acts of
horsemanship necessary for this type of riding. You are falling into the
trap of considering the human as the most necessary factor of the team. I
would differ with you an that point.

Ask some of our vets who are well versed in the physiology of the horse if
a one day 100 is harder than a two day (try Matthew McKay Smith for one).
Try your same comments in the Board of Directors meeting and see how far it
gets you.

If you think that 75 milers are worth 1.25 points per mile then the LD 25
milers must be worth 0.50 points per mile?

Brad please think a bit more next time you have proposals to make and think
of what has taken place in the past.

I get the impression you have been doing what you accuse the riders of ,
DRINKING TO EXCESS. I will excuse your poor taste on that basis.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

----------
darolyn@swbell.net; ddc@Rt66.com; renegade12@juno.com;
dfrazier@mail.llion.org; lynng@access.mountain.net; jackson@inconnect.com;
Navarrada@aol.com; mmsprice@postoffice.ptd.net; ridecamp@endurance.net;
LRiedel769@aol.com; step@bluefish.fsr.com; cmiket@aol.com;
WWArabsrun@aol.com

#3.
> Which option will they choose if they want to enter the 2-Day 100?  #3.
>
> *  There is no awards program for them.
>
> *  You get no extra point amount (like 1.5 for a one day 100) for them.
>
> *  The only reason they were instituted was for the ROC as qualifiying
> critera.  It is no secret that Susan does not actually require completion
> of "sanctioned" multiple-day events - she will accept completing any two
or
> three days in a row.
>
> *  The "On-Going Myth Syndrome":  Riders enter them because they believe
> that they are necessary for qualifying for some rides and so Ride
Managers
> sanction them because they believe riders want them.  Net result:  The
> first time a rider loses the 50 miles they completed the 1st day  because
> they didn't finish the second day is the last time they enter a 2-Day
100,
> AND they cost the Ride Manager more money for sanctioning, ride fees
> (although not much here, because not many enter them - check the EN ride
> results!), and awards.
>
> *  Sanctioning as a 3-Day 150 isn't necessary for a ride to be a Pioneer
> Event; it qualifies if it is three consecutive days of 50 miles or more
> each day.
>
> *  Finally, the rules still would need a change if we continue to
sanction
> them.  Rule 5.2 states that you have 12 hours to complete a 50, and 24
> hours to complete a 100.  If you have entered a 2-Day 100, you should
have
> 24 hours of "total competition time"; if you complete Day 1 in 8 hours,
> that should leave you with 16 for Day 2.  However, the Rule is not clear
on
> this, and because you are only riding 50 miles each day, some, but
> certainly not all, think you should have only 12 hours per day within
which
> you must complete.
>
> The AERC Competitions Committee and Board of Directors has discussed
> getting rid of this before - NOW IS THE TIME!
>
> Therefore, I propose to both the AERC Competitions and Sanctioning
> Commitees to eliminate sanctioning 2-Day 100's & 3-Day 150's.
>
> Happitrails!
> Brad.
>
>                                                       1998  ENDURANCE
CALENDAR

> * April 11:  BOXELDER TRAILS 30/50 & 15 mile ROOKIE Ride (Wellington, CO)
> * April 25-26:  PAWNEE GRASSLANDS I 25/50/75/100 Elevator/25/50  & 15
mile
>         ROOKIE Rides * Mountain Region National Series Championship Ride
*
>         (Briggsdale,  CO)
> * June 20:  BEAVER MEADOWS 25/50/75/100 & 15 mile ROOKIE Ride
>          (Red Feather Lakes, CO)
> * July 18:  A MIDSUMMER'S MOONLIGHT RIDE 30/50 & 15 mile ROOKIE Ride
>         (Wellington, CO)
> * August 3-7:  2ND ANNUAL ROCKY MOUNTAIN RIDE 55/55/55/55/30-55 *Pioneer
>         Event * (Monday-Friday; Arlington, Centennial and Mountain Home,
> Wyoming &
>            Gould, Red Feather Lakes, and Stove Prairie, Colorado - Each
day
> is a seperate
>            event, and rig drivers are available - Pre-Registration
deadline
> is July 1st)
> * September 5-7:  HORSETHIEF PASS 25/50/25/50/25/50 & 15 mile ROOKIE
Rides
>         *Pioneer Event* (Walden, CO)
> * October 17:  PAWNEE GRASSLANDS II 30/50/75/100 Elevator  & 15 mile
ROOKIE