Belly Lifts

>> When I was at Karen Chaton's house a month or so ago, she showed
>> me this lift (along with the "getting the horse to bend around
>> and take the treat from his hip" stretch). When I got home, I
>> dutifully tried it on Mouse, and she totally ignored me.
>>
>> I decided two things - either I was doing it wrong (how
>> *much* do you "go in" with your fingers?); or Mouse just
>> wasn't ticklish enough (she's very bored by being touched
>> all over and doesn't get wriggley about anywhere).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
>> Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

Hi Lucy:

I was taught these belly lefts from my veterinarian (who is also an equine
chiropractor)...along with the stretching exercises.  Each horse is
different with the amount of pressure you need to apply.  I use about the
amount of pressure it would take if you were scratching hard on a bad itch!
 Just keep scratching harder if you are not getting a response.
Eventually, Mouse will learn what you are doing and it will take less and
less pressure.

Right now, I can achieve the desired effect by using my metal curry comb
and scraping the mud off of their bellies!  haha

I was told by another ridecamper to use the cap of a 2 liter (soda) bottle.
 It might sound like torture, but you're really not hurting them. ;^)

Be careful though, some horses might want to kick at their bellies when you
do this.  Mine only tolerate it because they know I'm going to be giving
them a treat next....after they touch their hips with their nose, of
course.  The really great benefit of doing the stretching exercises is that
when you are riding your horse at a ride, you can not only feed them treats
from their back (without having to lean forward), but you can also dose
them with electrolytes! <g>

There are other exercises I do with them on a daily basis as well.  In
addition to doing the belly lifts, you can achieve almost the same type of
lift from scratching really hard on their rear end, on each side of their
tail.  Use both hands, and really scratch up and down, that causes them to
sort of curl up, and at the same time raise their back. (again, be careful
if your horse kicks)  When you do the treat stretching exercises (carrots,
apples, etc.) it might take awhile to get the idea across.  Once they
figure it out though, watch out!  I can go out to the barn and Weaver will
come into his stall and turn and touch his hip...he'll do this on a ride
too now if he hears me get into my saddle bag.  I'm not allowed to get
anything out just for me anymore...I have to give him something too...since
his nose is right there!  (it's a wonder he doesn't get whiplash when he
hears that zipper, if we are stopped somewhere)

I also work on stretching them other ways too.  It takes longer for them to
get the idea when you hold the treat under their bellies.  The goal here is
to get them to reach between (under) their front legs.  You can start by
getting them to reach down to their front hooves, and then slowly work your
way back farther and farther.

There are lots of other ground exercises you can do to get the horses to
use their abdominal muscles.  If you have cavaletti, or even logs or
another type of obstacle several inches tall that will work.  Any type of
obstacle you can walk the horse over that makes them really lift up and pay
attention to what they are doing should be a good exercise.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver, 1230 miles and....