Re: Corrals, Yards etc. for rides.

<< Just a thought on the accomodation of horses at rides. I have always used a
 portable electric yard setup, which my horses respect, but recently heard
 about an incident in Queensland where some horses stampeded through these and
 got killed or injured on roads etc.  >>

Valerie and Danielle Kanavy lost one of their good horses this way.  They were
camped out west, used electric corral...something went through or spooked
their horses to go through the fence; hence all horses went running amuck.
When they were found, one had fallen from a ledge and broken a leg.

Some years ago at a ride here in the East, the endurance riders, having
finished, had their horses in corrals.  The CTR riders arrived with fresh
horses.  That night somebodies horse got lose and ran through corrals, over
and through tents and took a number of horses with him.  We had 6-8 horses
running down the interstate at 2AM.  Some were VERY seriously injured.

The point is:  no matter how good YOUR horse is in an electric corral, the
OTHER lose horse (who cannot see it in the dark--or is panicked) can and will
go through it.  I have seen electric tape actually CUT a horse where he ran
through it.

The state of Indiana DNR has OUTLAWED the use of the electric pens for these
reasons.  Some ride managers out East ban them as well.

PVC corrals are at leats visible.  For some horses they are a good solution.
For others a steel corral (such as for a stallion) are necessary. I carry
steel corrals on the side of my horse trailer (7 wide trailer).  For 8 wide
trailers, they can be put in the extra stall, in the bed of your pickup, or on
the roof.  Most are NOT all that heavy (Farnum's steel corral which we sell
weight 26 pounds per panel..not unmanagable).  If you still like your
electric, PLEASE, use it during daylight hours and take it down at night.

I hate tying my horse to a trailer, so where possible, I use a picket line.
Safe if done properly.  One rope strung HIGH (at least 6 feet) off the ground
with "stops" (like know eliminators) at each end so the horse cannot get too
close to something he may damage or get hurt by.  Use a rope (I use neckropes
as the snap around neck rotates to the upward position when the horse has his
head down or rolls) long enough that your horse can just barely reach the
ground with his nose...much longer and you risk him getting tangled while
rolling or laying down.  I put hay and water at one end or the other where my
horse can reach it, but not become wound around it.

Plan carefully and THINK about the possible problems with ANY fence system.
There are safe ways to camp with your horse so YOU can sleep!!!

Teddy