Re: For vets, males, and stallion owners

Hi, Kat--

As both a rider of stallions and a veterinarian, I would have to say that the
hardening of the testicles that you noticed with your stallion at Death Valley
was NOT normal.  Although I can visualize the possibility of this happening
from irritation from the ride, I have never seen such a thing happen.  I would
think it would only be possible with some sort of variation in his gait, which
I would think either you or the ride vets or both would have noticed.  Also,
such a problem from irritation would tend to be painful, and in my opinion,
would further a gait abnormality as he would tend to try to move his hind legs
in such a way as to avoid the irritation.

I think it is entirely more likely that your horse suffered from some sort of
low-grade infection or some such that mildly disturbed the lymphatics in the
testicles.  This is not uncommon, and if your horse is fairly fit, he may have
just had a slightly "down" day, maybe not even noticeable in the lesser pace
of a multi-day.  If this is the case, you may see a lowered fertility
approximately 45-60 days after the incident (might not even be noticeable if
you are not breeding heavily at that time, but is worth keeping in mind).  If
the hardness resolved promptly, you probably don't have much to worry about.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)