Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

Steph and others:

Many people have suggested that there is a trade-off between hold times and
trail time.  After vetting nearly 250 rides, I find this NOT TO BE THE CASE AT
ALL!  As one would realize if one gives the matter some thought, horses that
have sufficient rest time at appropriate spots on the course can proceed more
rapidly down the trail than horses that have been ridden too far without
sufficient holds.  I have found that by throwing in an extra hold on the last
loop of 100-milers, the participants often return to base camp at a much
quicker pace than they did in previous years when that last checkpoint was a
stop-and-go.  Holds are necessary for horses to maintain performance--both in
regards to rest and refueling.  The horse without the hold time goes slower
and slower.  With well-planned hold times, you should be able to get healthy
horses to the finish line about as quickly as you would get fatigued, hungry
ones there without the holds.  Just my perspective from a lot of years of
experience watching lots of different horses, managers, trails, etc.  I still
stick by the elapsed time rule.

Interestingly enough, my Dad rode until he was 68.  He had a horse with "iffy"
metabolics that could only go about so fast or he would have problems.  Dad
had to get off every few miles and "find a tree" himself.  He frequently took
longer at checks because of his own health.  He always finished "in time" and
I think the most angry I have ever seen him was after a multi-day at which
Trilby was  allowed completion after the 12 hours were up.  He said it
defeated his entire purpose for being there--if they were not going to enforce
a time limit that was a little tough to meet, then what was the point of
paying an entry fee?  As he put it, he can go out and ride fifty miles any old
time, with no clock running, and do it for free, so why pay his money to come
to a ride?  His completion should be proof that he met a standard that he is
not held to if he is just "out riding".  I agree.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)