RE: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

Bob - I have a couple questions for you:

As Joe Long pointed out, there was originally NO time limit
imposed by AERC. The rule came about because of individuals
trying to ride a billion miles in one season, and the only way
they could do it was if they walked the entire course. So they
did, and it kept ride managers up all night and drove everyone
crazy.

So, were you in favor of the new time limit rule when it was
proposed? I assume you were competing at the time. And
if so, why was 12 hours the magic number? This is still a
pretty slow pace for a *real* endurance ride.... and when the
rule was originally put in place, did it address the question
of variation in hold times, or did that come about later?

st