Re: Price of Horses

I don't know where on this thread the misconception came about that good
endurance prospects cost so much money!  I breed specifically for endurance.
I also know several other people with similar bloodlines who have produced
many outstanding endurance horses.  Unstarted prospects from QUALITY ENDURANCE
LINES and REPUTABLE BREEDERS are out there for $1500-$4000 depending on age,
etc.  The prices being passed around on this thread for prospects is usually
only commanded by horses that are already well-started and usually have
already been to some rides.  At least that is the case in my area.  I'd sure
like to make those big bucks on horses, too, but it is not realistic to the
pocketbooks of most of my clientele.  Most of us are far more concerned about
getting our horses into the hands of capable people--we just can't afford to
GIVE them away for a few hundred dollars, and shouldn't have to.  Still, if
you think we are getting those big bucks, you haven't shopped most of the
reputable breeders!

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)