spooking horses...

Hey Chris,

  You hit the nail on the head with your excellent post on spooking the
John Lyons method.  The key is teaching them it is ok to spook, just
spook in place!  Making them face their anxiety also works and you are
right, circling can sometimes get them more worked up.  But if you use
your LEGS to keep them from backing or turning, but just facing the
problem, you can get results.

   There are also relaxation methods (I'm sure you are aware of) for
helping the horse dispurse some of his tension while it is occuring.
Teaching them at calm times to turn their head to your foot on cue is
one of these methods, especially if it is ingrained as an automatic
response.  THIS is where ground work helps the problems in the saddle.
Anytime the horse lowers its head it is relaxing.  This gives the horse
a familiar response he's learned to trust and helps dispurse that
flight instinct.    The stop and stare spook is just a hesitation for
you, the rider, to gain the horse's attention back for that split
second before full panick and flight sets in.  You must have an
immediate response to get their mind off the situation and/or reassure
them the situation will not harm them.  Each time it occurs, the horse
trusts you more and more, the spooks become less or not as violent, you
feel the trust and bonding increase.
   Make sense?

  Then, you will be face with the "I don't really want to work today so
I think I'll spook at everything" syndrome!  But, alas, that is another
story and one you come to recognize!

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab.."what!  Me ride in the rain!  In the
arena!  oh man, those caveletti might jump up and whack me....no
way...")