Re: Pony prices and training

<< I thought I was the only one that had rides around the neighborhood like
yours.  We live out by several dairy farms and my guy thinks that every cow he
sees is going to run up and kill him.  We also have a lot of fun on our rides
but haven't had a RELAXING ride yet. I am just hoping that with patience and
time(and lots of circling) that eventuallly we will be able to focus his
energy in a positive way >>

Dear Carrie, we too have cow farms nearby.  David does not mind the cows--even
when they run up to the fence and "chase" us as we trot by--but he has an
absolutely pathological fear of garbage trucks, and also we have an elk farm
nearby which has a short but beautiful trail behind it.  You have to ride
alongside the elk enclosure for about a half mile to get to the trail though,
and David is absolutely sure those elk are out to get him.  Even when he is
follwing behind my "old faithful" gelding Tash, and sees that Tash ignores the
elk, David has fits!  My farrier said I should get some elk scent from a
hunting store and sprinkle it around the barn and paddock.  I have not tried
this yet, but may if I cannot get him over this elk fear next spring!  David
is not to keen on deer either.  This is not good--lots of deer and some elk in
Michigan--!  And the distance rides here go right through where they are.

Trish & "pretty David"