Re: Horseshoes, Pads

Dear Simone and Ridecampers--

There is no "right" combination of shoes and pads for endurance riding.  I
prefer no pads at all, as they tend to prevent a horse's feet from toughening
up.  However, that is not always an option. There is a whole range of "foot
capability" out there, and also a whole range in varied terrain where
endurance rides are run, and one must factor in the vulnerability of the
particular horse and the terrain he will be asked to traverse.  Often times
wide web shoes are sufficient protection.

There are a lot of good pads available now that absorb shock and that are made
of less slippery material than what there was when I got started at this sport
a quarter of a century ago!  Other riders can probably tell you (and probably
WILL tell you) about their favorites.  I just wouldn't jump in unless you and
your farrier feel they are necessary.

For the horse with sound feet who is only occasionally asked to do
particularly rocky terrain, I prefer to put Easy Boots on OVER the shoes--this
gives an air space between the sole and the bottom of the Easy Boot, too.  The
boots can then be removed.  This can even be done from one checkpoint to the
next at a ride if there is a segment that is more rocky than the rest of the
ride.  This way the foot is free to "breathe" the majority of the time and one
avoids the drawbacks of being always padded.  If one is competing a lot, it is
not practical to remove pads after a ride (maybe you are doing three rides on
one shoeing!) whereas the Easy Boots can go on and come off as often as
needed.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)