Re: 5 Speed Transmissions

Teddy wrote:
> My Dodge Diesel owner manual said NOTHING about not towing in overdrive.
> Hence I did, and low and behold...new rear end at 68,000 and new transmission
> at 102,000.

Is this the same truck you pulled a 13,000 pound gooseneck
trailer with?    The 1997 one ton dually Dodge 4x4 is rated
right at 13,700 pounds towing capacity.  Are you sure your
trailer was only 13,000?  Did you put your loaded trailer
on a scale?

My Grandfather had his own car repair business.  He always
said "Leave a little."  As in, don't max out the capacity
of your vehicle.  Don't floor it.  Don't run at top speed.
Take care of it and your vehicle will run for you.

I think the Freightliner is a good solution for you, Teddy.
However, since I'd need to drive it to work it might be a
bit difficult to park... except maybe in San Francisco where
I could just double park and no one would notice... :)

Of course there's always the T-Rex... and I quote "Pack?
Why not just hook up the whole House and take it with you!"
... a Dodge 6x6 with a tow capacity of 26,000.  6x6 you say?
What's that?  What's the difference between a T-Rex and a dually?
Just a little money...  It's really pretty cool, but alas,
probably just a prototype.  Great pictures though:

http://www.bilweb.se/bilweb_nya/n06DodSi.htm

Hell... I'm only planing on hauling at 1/2 to 3/4 capacity
anyways.  Shh... now, don't spread this around, but the
1998 Dodge Diesel has a new 6 Speed Allison Tranny...

:) - kat myers
in San Mateo (No.) Ca. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
"Time to put you on a diet, boy!"