5 Speed Transmissions

You said that you had a 5-speed transmission in your 1996 Chevy diesel.  I
only know that my husband has told me never to haul the trailer in overdrive
or 5th gear.  He is a mechanic and has replaced many 5th gears in
transmissions where the person was hauling a trailer (sometimes that gear
has gone out in only one trip).  So, to be on the safe side, don't use
overdrive/5th when hauling, because if it does break, your stuck till a
wrecker hauls you in (ick).
Anne & the horses
(Dyskrete, Stuffy, Hadia and Tifla)