Re: saddles & rain

Chris Paus wrote:

> I finally got my Christmas present I ordered for myself. (My dear husband
> tries, but last year got me a sewing basket instead of riding gear).
>
> The present is a lovely Outback Campdrafter saddle that fits Star like a
> glove. Finally -- the 12th saddle. My problem is El Nino. It rains here or
> snows all the time. What can I do to protect the saddle. Will something
> like snow seal work?
>
> I've never worried about it before. My old appy mare once got down and
> rolled in a mud and water hole in my custom barrel saddle. I just cursed
> the mare and cleaned the saddle and it was fine. But what about riding in
> rain>>
>
> chris

Chris, maybe someone else has a trickier solution, but I've always just
kept my saddle really well oiled, and just gone ahead and ridden in the
rain and never had a problem.  Granted, it's a working saddle, not a
show saddle, but nevertheless, it didn't do anything weird to it.

I think it might be that it's not the water itself that could damge the
saddle, it's in either trying to dry it out too near a heat source that
then damages the leather; or in storing a wet saddle somewhere without
enough air circulation so that mold and mildew start.  My saddle usually
ends up on a rack in the living room on the opposite side from the
furnace, and the booties get stripped off so air can circulate
underneath.  Ridden it in rain many times and never had a problem.

And, again, keep it really well oiled and cleaned.

Just my .02.

Susan Garlinghouse