Re: Out of Control

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Blankenship, Ann wrote:

> circles.  Don't neckrein, just pull one rein out to the side (can't
> evade that!) so that if he decides to move anywhere on his own, he can
> only go in circles.  He's doing it to himself.  You don't have to jerk.

Actually, there are plenty of horses out there (I have ridden a few) who
are perfectly content to jig or gallop down the trail with their head
turned to the side....and there are some horses out their with necks that
are strong enough that your arm/s are not strong enough to turn the nose
to the side (been there and done that one too).

I has been my experience that the worst thing in the world to do to a
horse that gets "separation anxiety" is to separate it.  I find it far
better to let it drop back a little bit at a time (so that the other
horses are still in sight) until the horse becomes comfortable with little
bits of separation at a time.

This too is a LONG process as it may take you six months to a year to get
the horse to feel comfortable with nothing but your company (BTW:  this is
what you are trying to teach him...he's not alone...he's with you).  Until
that time, the trick is to choose your riding companions carefully :)

kat
Orange County, Calif.