Out of Control

There have been several posts from people whose horses are evading the
bit, or jigging, or plunging down inclines, etc... various ways of
trying to kill us and themselves.  Been there, done that...

I'm sure we all agree that an endurance ride is a bad place to start
training our horses to be obedient.  You may want to try this technique
on your training rides.  It 's really boring, but works for me and I
didn't make it up.   When your horse won't stop jigging, won't stand
still, evades the bit...  just let your riding partners go on down the
trail (tell them NOT to wait for you) and turn your horse in tiny
circles until he will halt and stand.  This means ALL FOUR FEET on the
ground.  No moving until you say OK and then only at a walk.  If there
is more jigging, cantering in place, leaping up and down... do more
circles.  Don't neckrein, just pull one rein out to the side (can't
evade that!) so that if he decides to move anywhere on his own, he can
only go in circles.  He's doing it to himself.  You don't have to jerk.
As I said, this is very time consuming and not much fun because your
friends leave you, but eventually, your horse will give up and stand.
He will move forward at the walk and will start listening to you when
you address him.  Otherwise... it's those damn circles again.  You have
to be firm, quiet and consistent.  If you get mad, the horse wins.  Now,
all I have to do is "think" about a circle, and my horses say "Aggghhh,
not that!  OK, I'll be good, I promise!"