Re: Help! Runaway!

Debbie,

There have been some good (sometimes passionate) discussions on bits and
bitting in the ridecamp archives so you might want to try a search of the
archives.  I'm not an expert trainer or anything myself but this sounds
like your horse has learned how to avoid the curb action of the grazing bit,
so one possible solution might be trying a snaffle bit (eggbut or dee-ring.)
You can use a sawing action to get the horses attention when they are
running through the bit, but they are an extremely mild bit otherwise.
The snaffle would also allow you to flex your horses head to one side
and the other easily (just a little bit is all that is needed.) This is
a good exercise to keep your horse yielding to the bit.

Teresa