Re: Subject: Re: long backs & arabs...more questions

Hi, Kimberly--

Regarding your questions about long vs. tall, and what kind of back for
racehorses, first let me say again that the horse must be proportionate TO
HIMSELF.  Of course a taller horse must be longer overall in order to "fit"
himself, but the idea of the proportions and the relationship of the back,
shoulder and hip still apply.  The bigger the horse, the bigger all the parts.
The angles should still be the same, and the "circles" I described in my
earlier post still apply.

As to racers, the same body proportions (good shoulder, good hip, short back,
long underline) still apply.  In fact, where seconds count, it is much more
difficult to be truly successful without having the proper conformation.  Some
of the "shortest" backs I have seen (remember, that is in proportion to the
whole horse) have been on some of the top winning Thoroughbreds and top
Thoroughbred sires.  I don't know if you are familiar with Thoroughbred
racehorses, but one of the most beautifully conformed horses I have EVER seen
of ANY breed is the Thoroughbred stallion Woodman--he was a successful
racehorse and has sired countless stakes winners.  (To give you an idea of his
value in the Thoroughbred world, where only results count, he has a six-figure
stud fee and a full book of mares every year.)  He is a huge horse with a very
short, tight back, fabulous shoulder, miles of hip, a long underline, and the
whole package fits together so smoothly...  Unbelievable.  At any rate,
racehorses must round their backs in order to get the maximum reach forward
with their hind legs, and then fully extend with every single stride--a long-
backed horse has a much more difficult time with the "flexion" part of the
stride and hence loses ground to a better conformed horse of equal ability.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)