Subject: Re: long backs & arabs...more questions

Thank you for the replies so far.

I also know of many arabs bred for the track.  In fact, Mystery's
father My Ladd was bred for the track.  What type of backs would a
racer be bred for?

Teddy, if I get you right, many breeders are not using the horses they
breed by riding them alot?  What are they breeding them for, to just
look pretty?  Pretty where? In the show ring?  You are suggesting to
buy from someone who rides their horses a lot, not just breds them.
This, of course, makes good sense.

In this area, there are arabs running around just being bred
indiscrimately and being sold off for $500+, completely green.  I'm not
convinced that getting a horse out of a wild pasture bunch is not a
good idea sometimes, as long as you can recognize the conformation and
potential.  Their hooves are strong, they know how to take care of
themselves, they know the language of horses.  As long as they've been
wormed and vetted properly from birth.

I also understand the back is relative to the rest of the horse.  I
have to study Dr. Smiths explanation more closely in front of the
horses to really understand it.  But it still begs a question: If the
horse is tall, or the horse is long and tall, shouldn't the back also
be long to go with the rest of the horse?  Would this be another reason
to buy a smaller horse for distance?

thanks again!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA