Re: Paso Finos

Hey thanks, Heidi!
I appreciate your comments.  For the record, I was not particularly offended
by your comments on the breed.  There are clearly a number of Paso Finos
that are strong, fast and tough, but the public perception of the breed is
that of a delicate show horse with an "interesting" gait, but not a beastie
you would get on to actually *go* anywhere.  This is something our
association needs to address, both nationally and here in the Northwest
region, where there are several breeders interested in promoting Paso Fino
athletes that can clean up well enough to go to town and show, too.

One of the factors in this misperception is the nature of Paso Fino owners.
Many of us have gotten into the breed later in life, after years of
sucessful competion in various endeavours with other breeds, and having
burned out on competition, mostly do pleasure and trail riding.  Others,
like myself would like to compete more aggressively but are limited by
career demands and health issues.

I would like to submit your post (with your permission) to our local and
national breed associations, in hope of generating intelligent and rational
dialog about where we are as a breed and where we should be going.

Having regained some degree of health, Mr. RoanHorse and I will be back on
the trail in 1998, and look forward to visiting with you again!

>Pat, in my original post, when I mentioned that I had seen one Paso do well,
>the horse I was referring to was Roanie.  Could not remember his or your name
>at that moment, but I think you finished behind me at Lost Wheelbarrow on the
>75-miler a few years ago, and you and Roanie did a super job on a tough,
>tough, tough trail.  Someone had told me that you had a lot of miles on that
>horse and had done a good job with him, and I was fascinated to watch the two
>of you on the trail and in the checks.   Keep up the good work!
Patty and the Rainbow Pasos
Rainbow Paso Fino Ranch
Clayton, WA   99110

Standing Coral's Palomilo de Vez
breeding stock carrying the bloodlines of Favorito Que Tal, Coral LaCE,
Pincel and Sonador.