Re: Paso Finos

Lets face it there are only a "handfull" of people that can compete at the
international level.  First, even before one consideres the luck of getting
a horse capable, one has to consider the rider.  The rider needs to be of
the correct size - 165 pounds with tack. Now what percentage does that
include?  I've taken weight ins at rides and that is a very small number.
Every ounce over that is a handycap.  Next is physical ability of the
rider.

It won't be very long untill the athletic ability of the rider becomes as
important as the horse.  A rider that can run uphill for long streches and
save the horse or run downhill so speed can be made safely - I think this
is what happened at the 95 North American - will become the norm.  Today it
is not the norm but it will be soon - especially if money is involved -
maybe even without money.

Next is the money involved in supporting this habit - it does take some.
It also takes a lot of time and this translates to money since most of us
have to work to support ourselves and this dasterly habit call the love of
horses.

Then even with the best conditioning and selection program it takes luck.
Not every horse is a Cash or a Rio.  What one in a 1000, one in 10,000?
This is baring accidents, injuries, etc.  One bad fall 10 years ago and
Micheal Jordan would have had a short basketball career.

Now where does that leave the rest of us, the people who love horses, who
love the challenge and who love to ride.  Some of us are aging boomers that
need a little smoother ride than some of the Arabs I have seen.  This is
not to say that all Arabs are rough riding - I have a very smooth Arab at
home that I am now riding.  But I was lucky to find this guy.  I have a
little walking horse filly in the field that may very be be my "old age
horse".

The great thing about this sport is the ability to go out with whatever you
want to ride and enjoy yourself.  A top ten here or there is icing on the
cake,  a win or a BC is choclate icing, but it is not the cake for most of
us. So the question as can a Paso, a walking horse, a foxtrotter a 1/4
horse, Appy, Morgan, etc. do endurance can be answered yes - if it is the
proper body type, has the appropriate conformation, is the proper size for
the rider and is properly conditioned - all the same questions one has to
ask about a potential endurance horese (even an Arab).  Sure it may take a
year longer to get the non Arabs in good condition, but how many Arabs self
distruct because they are to good too fast?  These non Arabs may not be at
the top of the heap, but there are only a very few horses a the top of the
heap.

Now I'll get off my soap box.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm with a lille hellion on the ground
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL