Re: Paso Finos

>On Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 19:48:23 -0500 you wrote:
>

>>When he did these rides he would trot and gallop - to excited to do his
>"gait".
>
>        I've often wondered why folks don't work to develop the trot in the
>lateral gaited horses.  One trainer of Pasos (who's horse's physique looked
>as though it had "trotting" muscles -- the horse HAD been trained to trot
>and gallop) said that most of his customers just didn't want to bother using
>the trot, but that he had no trouble keeping gait after he'd trained them to
>trot.  He felt that the cross training helped strengthen the horse for the
>extremely collected fino work.

Barbara,

Most "gaited horse peopel" don' want their horses to ever trot.  Many
people told me that by using Misty to do endurance, she would lose her
gait.  Misty would walk, trot and gallop - sometimes rack - on endurance
rides. As she got stronger her walk became awsome - about the speed of the
average Arab jog.

Know what, when I asked her to collect into this walk became an awsome
"flat walk".  With a little more action with the seat bones this became a
running walk,  When collected and on the bit she never broke gait!  BTW
this was a snaffle bit.  So much for not trotting.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm with a lille hellion on the ground
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL