Re: Poinsettias

Chris Paus <paus@micoks.net> wrote:

> I'm a newspaper reporter and our paper recently got a news release from the
> state extension service that it is a myth about poinsettias being poisonous
> to dogs, cats and people. The release didnt' mention horses. It's probably
> better to be safe than sorry!
>
> chris paus & the starman (trying to find a dry place. thanks el nino)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dragged out my handy toxicology book, and pretty much supports Chris's
release.  Here's some quoted material (bear in mind this book is
intended for human medicine, not equine):

From: Poisoning and Toxicology Handbook. JB Leikin, MD and Paloucek, FP
MD. 1995. Lexi-Comp Inc, OH.  p 894.

"Signs and Symptoms of Acute Overdose:  Frequently believed to be toxic,
even a lethal plant, the poinsettia has little toxicity; nausea,
vomiting, and skin irritation are rarely reported to the Poison Control
Center; gastrointestinal symtoms are mild, self-limited, and seldom
require fluid replacement.  Estimates, based on animal data, indicated
that a 50 pound child would have to ingest 500 to 600 leaves to cause
symptoms."

"Overdosage Treatment:  Wash off patient if irritation is experienced;
dilute with water, milk, or juice for injestions."

Hope it clears stuff up a bit.

Kim (and I'm-about-as-red-as-a-poinsettia, the sorrel 'Lee)