How Wet is the Osceola National Forest?

From: Daniel Rourke, Jean Wonser
Email: cpfjean@bellsouth.net

There should be no problem getting into The Corral Camp in Osceola
National Forest.  A bit of water improves the sand-clay roads.  Camp
itself stays suitable for camping.  Even during the wet season (winter)
I have never seen the camp too wet to camp.  There is no mud in the Camp area.  Camping spaces are greatly enlarged from the first Panther Run in l990 there.  We can easily camp l00 rigs now, I dare say.

Trails are wetter in winter months than spring and fall due to rain.
North Florida is presently recovering from some heavy rain in December.  However flood levels are receeding as I write.  As trail designer for the Osceola Horse trails each of the three loops in use for The Osceola Ride have moderate amounts of Forest Service Road incorporated .

Besides this is an Endurance Ride.  We like to get wet, rough and
dirty.  The only thing we have in the Osceola to slow the hot shoes is
water here and there. We do not even have loose sand, being all
grassed-in.  Depending on the weather this week you can expect some water.  The only question to be decided by Mother Nature is whether it will be where is it normally, or spread out a bit more.

Come on over and enjoy the fun.  We have not lost a rider or horse yet.

Jean Wonser
manager of Panther Run in The Osceola National Forest November 7, l998