Re: A variety of questions

In a message dated 98-01-05 14:23:17 EST, guest@endurance.net writes:

<< I need help with getting my draft cross truly fit.  She's on the drafty
side, but has the world's best, unflappable temperament, and has no trouble
with competing the rides, soundness, soreness or hydration -- just with P and
R recoveries.  Being such a big girl, I expect that, but am looking for hints.
We did lots of LSD work, hill work, and then interval training (trot-canter-
trot), but even by our last ride, she wasn't as fit as I'd hoped for.  Any
ideas to get her really BUFF?  Thoughts about feeding fat?  She's a very easy
keeper -- smells food and gains weight!  I'd almost decided to trade her in
for an Arab or cross, and then she ended up winning our division in a NATRC
ride this fall (two days/forty miles), and I'm enjoying her so much, it seems
silly!

Some horses don't have the aquisition that others do. At least for a given
sport. Over time, though, a lot can be changed with conditioning. Already
you're doing a lot of the right things. Next year I'd build to a bigger base
and then be tougher with the exercise routine--just a little tougher. The year
following, even more.

Focus on the uphill works. You probably aren't taking the intervals fast
enough to induce much cardiovascular change--but that's ok if you can get the
job done with the hills. Are you monitoring heartrate? If so, what peaks do
you hit in your exercises and what's your working heartrate during a ride?

ti