Re: socks

Kristen L Olko wrote:

>  Thorlo socks are terrific.  They have extra padding on the front
> >of
> >the shin where the stirrup leather rub, also extra thickness at the
> >toe
> >and heel.  The over-the-calf styles actually stay up without falling
> >down, they wear like iron, keep my feet warm when wet and wick
> >moisture
> >away so I don't get SwampFoot.  They run about $11-13 a pair, but are
> >well worth it.
>
> Where does one get these?
>
> Kris

REI carries them, also Sports Chalet or any decent sporting goods
store.  I like the Basketball over-the-calf style, or the heavier Skiing
style that have really nice padding across the shins, toe and heel.  I
think there is also a lightweight Skiing style that's nice for summer
riding.  So anywhere that carries ski equipment will probably carry
them.  It's worth calling around.  Barbara Madill also said there's an
outlet in SC---if I can get more info, I'll post it on the list.  Why
these socks aren't carried by some of the endurance suppliers, I dunno.
I adore them, and as of yesterday's ride, so does my husband
(great---now there's going to be a pre-ride scramble for the sock drawer
to snag the last clean pair of socks every time!)

Anyway, for anyone who's gotten fed up with getting a leg pinched
between biothane stirrup leathers and the saddle, and/or socks that
always fall down or just aren't long enough (I'm 5'11" and have VERY
long legs), these socks are a godsend.

Susan Garlinghouse