RE:Dropping the head

On Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:25:09 -0800, you wrote:

>My horse has learned to drop his head to avoid/overcome/negate the  bit
,and this >occurs  near the bottom of hills when he sees the horses  ahead
of him cantering up out >of the gully. He "hits hard" or feels very  heavy
on the forehand on downhills,and I >absolutely cannot go fast down  hills
without feeling that we are gonna wreck.So there >we are in the very  spot
where I dare not go fast ,he knows I want to go slower

        You might try riding with a snaffle, running martingale and TWO sets
of reins.  You can then "snap" the upper rein when he starts to drop the
head and still be able to control how much upward movement he makes when you
correct him.  Yes, it takes a bit of practice, but you have a potentially
kind bit and several options with this arrangement.  (I connect the
martingale rings with a strap over the neck to prevent the reins sagging
dangerously -- this also allows you to use "open" rein movements)
        Try "setting up" a scenario similar to real competition and practice
"pull ups".

Good luck!

Barbara (and Dandy, who spent 2,000 + miles trying to be first even when he
WAS first! -- P.S. the above arrangement didn't work on Dandy -- I ended up
using a Salinas with two set of reins.  (now called "Linda Tellington")