RE:controlled v. non-controlled

Most of the posts I've read re: controlled starts involved one mile or less
of control. At Biltmore (and years ago at Liberty Bell 50) the control was
for about four miles and led by a good moving horse (8-9 MPH trot)
maintaining as fast a safe pace over the terrain as feasible in the half
light available at start time.  When riders know that there's plenty of time
to sort things out before position gives an advantage, I'd think a
controlled start would work. (At Biltmore the control rider carries a glow
stick and holds it high when slowing for tricky terrain -- that way riders
back in the pack know to slow down themselves.)

Barbara (and Larca --- I LOVE having CONTROL!!!!)

P.S. In the above cases the rider was either not a competitor or one who had
declared that they were not going to race.