controlled v. non-controlled

Hey guys!!  I have ridden both controlled and non-controlled starts, adn I
will have to agree with someone who  said it really depended on who was
there to ride.  I was involved in a controlled start for one mile at a
ride a few years back.  As soon as the mile point came and we were cut
loose, I think about 10 riders went out in a blaze of glory.  At least
their horses were plenty warmed up by then, but it sure did not help my
horse want to pace any better.  Of course, some of the non-controlled
starts that I have been part of have been pretty hairy too:-)

IF I am starting a ride with a young or green horse, I will wait out the
start and then go out by myself.

On the other hand, I use the LD rides for a learning/teaching tool for my
horse. IF she has to go out later than other horses every time, then how
is she ever going to learn to start with the pack?   I think that
controlled starts are
VERY good tools if the start is dangerous or something, but probably not
necessary on rides where the start is easy.  It has to be up to the rider
to know if their horse needs to be held back.  True that it comes with
experience, but a mile is not very far when you are talking about trying
to keep someone from over riding their horse.

APPY TRAILS

SAMM C. BARTEE
Auburn, Al.  SE Region
with