Dropping the head

My horse has learned to drop his head to avoid/overcome/negate the
bit ,and this occurs  near the bottom of hills when he sees the horses
ahead of him cantering up out of the gully. He "hits hard" or feels very
heavy on the forehand on downhills,and I absolutely cannot go fast down
hills without feeling that we are gonna wreck.So there we are in the very
spot where I dare not go fast ,he knows I want to go slower ,and he puts
his nose into the dirt,accellerating,and cross-cantering.I used to
road-race motorcycles,and learned that when you feel like you're about to
go down,you usually are.Even if I'm being too cautious ,even if he knows
what he can safely do, the throttle should be mine,not his. Bits are not
the answer-you name it,it's been in his mouth.Training or rather
"Training" isn't really the answer unless I could come up with some super
negative reinforcement to apply in that exact moment in the real life
situation , which would not result in a wreck. He KNOWS I want him to
slow down. He never does this when we ride alone.I think it's more a
matter of technique on my part than training for him. The best rider I
know, who loves to ride this horse FAST in rough country(scouting in
big-time field trials), says to "sting him" with the bit quickly,but not
to give him anything to lean/pull against.This is an extremely gaited
horse. Some knowledgable horsemen have said he is smart.He's very
friendly.He lives without other horses now,and is herd sour,but ther are
horses alongside and behind him when he pulls this stunt. He's generally
near the top of the pecking order when he is in a herd. He's ten years
old. Opinions?Truman?