Re: horse size

Susan--

I think the cannon circumference is an important measure--but it has to be
correlated to the horse's weight.  Personal observation would lead me to
believe that Deb Bennett's numbers of 8" per 1000 pounds is a pretty good rule
of thumb.  Do the math, though--that means that 6" is adequate for a 750-lb
horse, but it takes 10" for a 1250-lb horse.  I don't want somebody to give me
a cannon circumference unless they tell me how big the horse is.  I agree that
the bigger horses tend not to have the bone to go with their size--I think
that's one reason why they don't tend to hold up as well.  They are on the
fringes of the bell curve for normal Arabian size, and it is harder to find
good ones on the edges.  Just for the record, the stallion I ride (Abu Ben
Surrabu) has 8-3/4" and weighs about 950-lbs--and he is not quite 14-3 hh. His
dad, barely 14-2 hh, weighed just over 900 and had an honest 9" cannon
circumference.  Would rather put a heavyweight on guys like that than on a
15-3 hh horse that weighs 1100 lbs and only has 7-1/2" cannons!  One has to
look at the whole picture.

By the way, do you still have the reply I sent you about body scores?  I
deleted it and later found out that I had cc'd it to a friend instead of to
ride camp.  If it is convenient for you to post, I would like to share it.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)