controlled - non controlled start

As a rider I prefer a non-controlled start unless there is a safety
reason.

Of the three rides I manage in San Diego, two have controlled starts and
one does not.  The Manzanita Ride has a ravine that the riders have to
go through about 100 yards from the start.  I don't want the riders
racing down that since it often creates a problem for the riders farther
back in the pack.    The riders are required to walk through that ravine
and then about 100 yards past that where it flattens out the riders can
move at whatever pace they want.  A sign is placed at that spot that
tells them that the controlled starts ends there.  I used to pick a
rider to lead the group out at a walk and tell the riders that they
could not pass that rider, but then I felt that it gave that rider the
advantage of being in front where the controlled start ended.

At the Mt. Laguna Ride the riders have to travel on a portion of an
asphault road during the first mile.   I found that it was difficult to
have 60+ riders do a controlled start for that long of a stretch without
the horses getting bunched up, nervous, etc.   Since I do not want them
racing on the road, I tell them that the ride starts at 6:00, and they
can leave basecamp (which is where the mileage starts) anytime after I
take numbers (5:45) and make their way at their own pace to where the
controlled start ends which is a mile into the course.  At 6:10 the
riders are released from that spot where they can leave at whatever pace
they want.

The Warner Springs Ride starts on an open road for a mile so there is no
controlled start because it is safe to race from that point.

So basically, I feel the decision whether to have a controlled start
should be determined by the safeness of the start of the course.  I
expect the riders to position themselves in the pack at the start based
on the rider's experience, goals, and predictability of their horse.

That's my perspective.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego