trail safety

I would appreciate some feedback from the group.

The Mt. Laguna Ride has been held for over ten years using the same
trails and to my knowledge we have never had a problem with respect to
trail safety.  (This last year a junior rider borrowed a saddle which
either did not fit or was not cinched tight and did not use a breast
collar and had a mishap on the trail, but I would not say that the
problem was because of the trail.)  These trails are frequently single
track one horse trails (some on the Pacific Crest Trail) and in places
can be narrow (3 feet wide) that can have a drop off on one side.  I can
understand that someone who had a fear of heights could feel some
discomfort on one of these sections of the trail, but I would consider
the trail safe, unless, of course I was riding an unsafe horse.   If I
am going to incorporate a new section of trail in the course that I may
have a question about, I always take along one of my “wimp” riding
friends to get their perspective before I add it to the course.

The riders at the San Diego rides are all given questionnaires to
complete and return after the ride with any suggestions and criticisms.
I just received one of the questionnaires back regarding the Mt. Laguna
Ride (she must have given this some thought since the ride was over six
months ago).  The interesting part about this was that in answer to the
question regarding what she especially liked about the ride, she
answered “scenery.”  In response to the question regarding how
management could improve this ride she wrote, “trail is too dangerous
for endurance.  Suggest reroute to dirt roads if possible.  Too much
(beautiful) single track with plunging cliffs.”

I know that as a rider I personally prefer a course that uses single
track trails that require some horsemanship, rather than dirt roads
(although I do like a road the first mile or two so that the front
runners can space out and position before getting on a single track
trail).  I get bored with dirt roads and I would think that my horse
does also.

So with the above information, this is the feedback I would appreciate
the group providing.

Do you riders prefer dirt roads to single tract trails that require
horsemanship?
Do you feel uncomfortable on a trail that is 3 feet wide alongside a
drop off?
If you have ever ridden the Mt. Laguna Ride, do you feel the trail is
too dangerous for endurance?

I would appreciate your input.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego