Re: Hauling across country alone plus dog

Hi Maggie, Having both shipped a horse (from minnesota to california & back
again) by professional hauler and having hauled my endurance horse from
California to Texas, Utah, Colorado (you get the picture).  I would advise
shipping him professionally (if you can afford it).  it is one thing if you're
going anyway to ride, need to take it really easy and have your horse ready to
do a 100 or 50 when you get there.  If you need to get him from point A to
point B and he can rest when he gets there I think a reputable shipping
company is the way to go.  Especially since you point out that you are
inexperienced in long distance hauling.  There is a lot to think about!  Also,
some of these critters decide not to get back into that awful trailer (usually
after you've crossed the point of no return) and there you are out in the
middle of nowhere with 900 pounds of horse that doesn't want to cooperate!
When we moved from California to Minnesota (and back again) we used a shipping
company called Pegasus (they ship race horses).  It took only  a few days to
make the trip and my horse arrived, both times, in remarkably good condition.
I was able to get on the van before hand and see how he would travel
(Greyhound passengers should have it so good).  He had food and nice bedding
the entire way, lots of water and an available veterinary assistant if needed
(could give shots, i.e. tranquilizers, if needed).  No, they didn't unload,
but I think considering the possibilities that was best.

Whatever you decide, good luck!  KOA campsites do work out well and if you're
looking for an adventure, then traveling cross country during the winter with
a horse you don't know would definitely qualify!  Once again, best wishes!

Sylvia