Re: Fwd: mountain bikers

Uh Oh!  Read my (REPLACEMENT) words below.....

SandyDSA@aol.com wrote:

> Around here, it seems that the road riders (ENDURANCE RIDERS) are stupider than any 6 yera old
> who has had a little bicycle ed (A FEW RIDING LESSONS). These idiots insist on riding 2, 3 and
> sometimes 4 or 5 abreast down a local 2 lane road! Theses are people all
> dressed up like they are going to a bike (ENDURANCE) fashion show, on expensive bikes (SADDLES & SLICK, MUSCLED HORSES), and
> for all they LOOK like, you would THINK they would have a clue. But they DON'T
> - they just zip (GALLOP) on down the road, yakking it up.

We preach tolerance and share the trails - we need to follow that
advice.  I ctop and chat with folks like this (or more likely, speed up
& trot along with them) to explain what I do, what my worries are, etc.
Usually very well received.

In my state, bikes are allowed 2 abreast, and that is encouraged.
Otherwise, cars etc. can pass them without going into the other lane.
Very dangerous situation.  On narrow trail with blind curves, single
file is a matter of survival.  MAYBE we'll give natural selection a hand
& simply get rid of the really stupid ones when they have their
accidents on these narrow trails.

I don't know about the bikers using bells, but I do.  I yield to them
uphill when they have some momentum going, and I expect them to "run
down" at a controlled, reasonable speed.  So far, very few problems as
long as we know that each other is coming.  That's where the bells are
handy.  I have sleigh bels on a velcro strap that attached to the breast
collar.  The horse's shoulder motion keeps em going.  I get used to them
by the end of the ride.  I lounged Rocket with them to start - he felt
like it was no big deal & took to them VERY well.

BTW - Here, Mountain bikers = souped up, sturdy bicycles ridden off road
Dirt Bikes are motorcycles that do the same thing.

Linda Flemmer