stirrup lengths/ type of saddle

Congrads to Glenda & Lakota!   After reading Glenda's and Angie's posts I
have questions about stirrup length & type of saddle. Briefly, the situation
is as follows:

I've been trying lots of saddles geared toward a more balanced seat with my
legs directly below me; sort of in a dressage type position.  If the horse
disappears from underneath me (magically, of course), I would be standing
up.  I'm happy posting at this position but unfortunately, none of the
saddles benefited Mystery's back.

I finally settled on  a JRD Pathfinder used, refitted to Mystery, but
unfortunately it is more of an all-purpose type of saddle with more forward
flaps.  The saddle seems to fit his back pretty good so far, we are still
"breaking it in".  My problem is when I post, I feel like I am being thrust
forward over his shoulders.  I'm trying different stirrup lengths, but not
too short so far as I do like the longer legs under my hip.

I am afraid if the stirrups are too short I will no longer have a balanced
seat and I will have soreness associated with the bent knee.  btw, I am
planning to have the saddle and my riding analyzed by a professional (along
with some basic lessons) but not til January and not on this horse.

How do the distance riders who use all-purpose saddles deal with this?  Does
anyone coming from a dressage saddle to an all-purpose saddle find they also
have problems?  Can you be truly balanced in an all-purpose saddle?

I hope this is endurance related enough.  Happy Holidays to all!

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab....in his thick wool natural blanket for a low
of 27degrees this a.m....burrrrrrr...)
Pt.reyes, Ca

btw, I'm finding my riding limited because I don't have a barn and he has to
be dry by the time the temp drops and I put him back in pasture.   I can't
clip as I can't blanket everyday.  Someone wrote that putting them back in
the pasture wet is ok and considered cooling down...I don't agree with that
unless it is the warmest part of the day and they have plenty of time to dry
before night falls......