Re: GPS to calculate mileage

In a message dated 12/5/98 11:54:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kirsten@vermilion.reno.nv.us writes:

<< The bottom line is that elevation is a
 darn hard thing to measure from a satellite basically because it's
 looking down the same axis it's measuring.  Quite frankly, if you've got
 a decent topo and know where you are..... you are probably better off
 using the elevation from the topo. >>

I repeat my statement about running over a USGS topo map with a measuring
device (can't remember the official name of those things!). Measure as
carefully as possible, then add 10% for zig zags and elevation. Our experience
in terrain where there is plenty of both indicates this method comes out about
right on for mileage.

BMc