Re: GPS to calculate mileage

Actually if one simply processes the GPS signals directly - not relying
on the current comerical processing available - horizian geometries are
the worst for altitude.  Geometerties where the space craft's subvehicle
point are clost to the given location are optimal for altitude.  The
critical problem with GPS and horizon geometries is the frequency of the
signal and the effects coming through the atmosphere.  Military users
have compensation for this while comerical users don't.

The commerical use of GPS will support the current accuracies as
specified by the US Government.  There is a limit - even with
differential GPS.

The WGS84 standard - soon to be replaced by WGS96 - is the standard
which GPS data is calculated and reported. It is the reference in which
GPS ephemeris, and the geodetic constants are reported. These constants
are those that best describe the shape of the earth in the 1985 survey.
These ephemeris and constants are required for the calculation of
location from the timing mesurements calculated by the receiver. Local
references are antiquated.  This is a big problem in the commerical
world.  The USGS is still back in the 40's on some of their surveys.
Even some U.S. military systems are using WGS72, but that is changeing
by direction.  Within a short period of time all U.S. Government users
will by at WGS96 and the GPS ephemeris and the geodetic constants will
also reflect the WGS96 model and the problems facing the commerical
users will be even more componded.

My team recently performed a test on airborne nav systems where a GPS
(military accuracy) was compaired to a GPS augmented inertial nav system
(to remove long term drift)  as comparied to a day time star tracker
system.  The GPS nav system performed the worst and the star tracker
system the best.  GPS is good and is a giant step forward in
distributing time world wide and is a big advance in providing location
to commerical and military users, but I would not bet the farm on the
distance it measures - especially in the commerical mode.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm