Re: saddle fit/back soreness?

sweety@nni.com wrote:

 About two months ago I noticed
> that when I removed the saddle and pad there were two areas on either side
> towards the back of her withers where the saddle sits that did not produce
> sweat - just dry spots.  <SNIP> HOWEVER - there was not a
> hint of soreness, no hair rubbing off at all, and no hair discoloration
> (from what I can tell, she's a fleabit grey).

I agree with you - the saddle doesn't fit her any more.  You probably
have conditioned her enough that she is developing shoulder muscles,
thickening that area near her withers.  Soreness isn't always noticed
immediately.  It may take form as a subtle problem, like shortening of
stride or change in attitude, too.

Since she is a gray, it's <really> hard to see the white hairs <grin>
(We joke that folks chose Arabs for endurance because of the high number
of grays in the breed.)  You need to look at her skin in those areas.
Normal, undamaged skin is black/dark.  If there is injury to the areas
due to pressure, over time it will turn pink.  Also, lightly run your
fingers over those areas with your eyes closed.  It may feel thickened
or rough.  All signs of skin damage from the pressure.

Is it possible to arrange the stuffing on your saddle in that area to
relieve some of the pressure and switch to the thinest pad you have?  If
the fit problem is marginal, you may have some luck with this.  I HATE
looking for new saddles when I can do something simple to save the
situation.

Thick pads won't help at all.  ("Mom, my shoes are too tight"  "Well,
put on another pair of socks to pad your feet."  "Mom, now my shoes are
<really> too tight!")  Neither will gel pads, equalizer, etc.

Best of luck.  Be glad that you have a back up saddle that fits her!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV