Re: Answer to Duncans post about probiotics, flexxion products etc

In a message dated 98-12-06 15:25:57 EST, wendyl@jps.net writes:

>  Here is one example - go and look at your bags of horse feed. Do you see
>  in the list of ingredients on called ETHOXYQUIN or just E ??
>  This chemical is manufactured by Monsanto. Employees that handle it must
> wear
>  protective gear and respirators.

Wendy, yes handlers of any chemical need to wear minimal safety gear since
they are exposed to the pure stuff for many hours a day.  This is NOT the same
exposure as having a few grams in a ton of feed.

 > It is a POISON,

Yep, and so is salt, if you eat/feed enough of it.

> The Dept. of Agriculture lists it as a pesticide.

Ethoxyquin is an antioxidant used as a preservative.

> Based on body weight , the FDA allows Ethoxyquin to be used in animals foods
at > a rate 300 times higher than permitted as as residue in meat consumed by
humans.

That's about right, considering the ultra-conservative amounts FDA and EPA
allow in human food versus animal feed.

>  (we get it through animals eating forage sprayed with it)  Is this
something
>  you want to feed your horses?

I'd much rather have my horses take their chances with minute quantities of a
preservative than to risk the known effects of spoilage that might result if
it weren't treated.

Linda