Fwd: non-member fees--yes, more!

In a message dated 12/3/98 6:46:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tobytrot@bigfoot.com writes:

<< I know 4-H doesn't...at least they have never charged me a
 non-member fee.

IN fact, 4H is the ONE group that doe snot allow participatio in their own
sanctioned events unless you belong to 4H. Some clubs sponsor fundraising
shows - one of our does - but to participate as 4H you muct be in it - from
September till August out here. There are many, many organizations with a
closed membership - you must pay to belong. Some, like AERC and thousands of
others, allow participation if you pay a nominal fee. This is as it should be,
otherwise why become a member? At some level of inclusion, it should be made
worthwhile to join. Without a consistent membership, it would be impossible
for any group to maintain a semblance of constance in its operations -
financial and otherwise. Ultimately, those who DO belong get to do the barking
while those who DON'T must put a cork in it. That is simple, logical reality.
Doesn't mean barking gets one anywhere at all, but at least putting one's
money where one's mouth is" at LEAST is a modicum of entitlement to do so.

We never remarked on how AERC operated - until we DID become dues-paying
members. We didn't like the increase - and still think it was excessive. But
the alternative was not quite desireable. It might be if they shoot up the
dues again (hello, management!). Anyway, if you wnat to play the game, I guess
you have to pay.
San

---- Begin included message ----
kat said:
>I have never been to a "schooling show" that charged me nom-member
fees...I know 4-H doesn't...at least they have never charged me a
non-member fee.

One of the major differences between endurance and the other equestrian
sports is that we do not have an unsanctioned "schooling" format.  In other
disciplines, riders can participate in unsanctioned, inexpensive "back
yard" type competitions until they feel ready to move up to the sanctioned
events.  This "level" of competition does not exist in our sport--riders
are involved with the National organization from the very beginning.  The
alternative to paying full fees (and non-member fees) is non-participation.
 There is no introductory level.

Terre

---- End included message ----