Re: Getting to the people with the power

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:45:09 -0600 (CST), "Glenda R. Snodgrass"
<grs@TheNetEffect.com> wrote:

>> So, why do you want others to pay more so that you don't have to pay
>> as much?  Do you *really* think that's right?

>I don't believe we're asking others to pay "more" but rather "an equitable
>participation." Isn't that the principle behind a non-member fee?  <snip>

Apples and oranges.  Dues pay for the membership benefits, such as EN,
awards, tracking mileage, etc.  Someone who wants to "recover" mileage
ridden before joining (prior to a six-month grace period) must pay for
it.  Ride sanction fees pay for the AERC services to the ride (other
than insurance, which is paid separately but covered out of the entry
fees).  As everyone at the ride is getting the *same* services, why
should some be forced to pay more than others?  How is that equitable?

Beyond that is the *size* of the non-member surcharge, which becomes
quite large in proportion to the entry fee at short rides.

And why do we want to tell new people that they aren't welcome, by
saying "Hey, you're not one of us, so we're going to make you pay
extra?"

Just some reasons that I do *not* think it's right to force others to
pay more so that I can pay less.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net